19.3.11

a little walk to the 1930s

Photobucket
(Outfit: 1950s coat; 1930s crepe dress; 1930s hat; 1920s or 30s kid gloves; vintage silk purse; trusty ol' Vigoss oxfords)

My love of vintage covers many, many decades and even centuries; I'm drawn to pieces from such different eras, and so my outfits usually combine a myriad of vintages. Every so often, however, I love to wear one period head-to-toe! Once I had both my $5.00 crepe dress and 30s ribbon hat in my possession, I immediately started scheming up this full 1930s outfit.

As excited as I was about this dress, I'm thinking I might send it down the line sometime soon; the puffy shoulders and wide collar aren't the most flattering style for me. And it's too big. I'm not quite sure yet... I might have to give it another test run! On a brighter note, I'm really excited about this coat-- it's from the late 1940s/early 1950s and is 100% cashmere with a mink collar... and was just $10.00 (from the same place I got the dress, of course! They were selling off all their winter coats so cheaply). The most expensive items I was wearing in this picture were the $30.00 modern shoes, ironically!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

PS: I just started using Photobucket instead of Flickr, so I have to manually adjust the picture size... and I'm still trying to get the hang of it! So I apologize for how enormous some of these are!

15 comments:

  1. What a great look! I am in love with your hat and DRESSS!! I think it looks stunning on you, but if you were ever wanting to sell, you know where to find me hehe (I guess I'd have to ask about price and size first, but you get a sense of my 30s addiction). Truly, though, you look fantastic in such a rich warm colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your amazing bargains make me sooo jealous!!! You totally need to start an etsy store and snap up the rest of those cheap coats to pass on to the world!
    The dress is gorgeous - would it be possible to take it in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress on you,Wish I could look as sweet in vintage dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this. You pull it off so well!!!
    Sounds like you've been really lucky with your purchases :)
    xErin

    anodetoreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look A-MA-ZING! I love the 1930s - so very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh mi god! Just stunning.
    I want your hat ..now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that dress, the colour is beautiful!! I have one genuine 30s dress from a flea market, and even though it's too big, I could never part with it! This is one of the best outfits ever, you look so elegant!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful outfit!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love your hat especially. I am with you on loving different style periods and wanting to wear them head to toe. I love that you're like that too because I don't know many who do that!!! You're amazing in this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This ourfit's so cool. That coat is a great find as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. You all are so sweet; thank you so much!!

    I think I'm going to hang on to this dress for sure now; if I take the bust in a little it should be a perfect fit.

    Haha, Rebeccak, I tried to start an etsy store once, but ended up falling in love with everything I intended to sell, and couldn't part with anything... whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous outfit! I think the dress looks lovely on you, very slinky and noir looking! :D I am always jealous of your super sweet bargains too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a fabulous sense of style and a beautiful blog! Love the coat ensemble and your hair/red dress from the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the dress is quite striking on you but you can get it tailored if you think it could fit better? Unfortunately my body type eliminates 20s/30s clothing as a possibility so I tend to stick mainly to 50s & 70s frocks.

    Yay a cashmere coat! All my fur-trimmed coats are wool, haven't found an inexpensive cashmere one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh me, oh my! That dress is abso-blooming-lutely amazing! One of the most wonderful dresses I may have EVER seen! xxx

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥