20.2.13

cowpunk kid

  photo banjo_driving_zps4a398329.jpg

Hey there! Banjo says, "hop in y'all, and let's take a drive to Outfitsville!"

 photo feb2_zpsc9c2210e.jpg



I bought this t-shirt as a Valentine's Day present for myself 'cause Jeffrey Lee Pierce is my truest l♡ve, ha. It's got an illustration of a medicine chest, and each bottle features a song from Fire of Love, the band's first album. The Gun Club has been my fondest obsession since I was 17, and the amount of devotion I feel for them has gotten me through the roughest of times. I know it's all trite and kiddish to announce "this band changed my life!" but... this band... it changed my life, man! ;) To find this perfect marriage between the old-school country and blues I'd grown up with, and the brash early punk rock I fell for in my late teens, was nothing short of revelatory. Anyhow, good buy; I'll be wearing this shirt 'til it goes to rags on me!


 photo feb4_zps6367c9e3.jpg  photo feb1_zpsad58db76.jpg
Ready to hit the mean streets! I got my mittens that look like Pomeranian paws (thanks Grandma!) and ear muffs too, woohoo! The only thing that gets me through winter is my love of vintage mink.
  photo feb3_zpsde447bef.jpg

And an asymetrical hair 'do from last week I was pleased with:
 photo boyscout1_zps346a126c.jpg

The Boy Scouts blouse was a fun thrift store find a few years ago. I was also wearing some lame jeans you don't really need to see.

And yes, I cut my bangs again back in December, but immediately regretted it so I hide them most of the time!!
 photo boyscout2_zpseb6d8e8a.jpg   photo boyscout3_zps7e933119.jpg 

And a song I dig:


Well, hope you're doing swell!
Tell me, what band has changed your life the most??
Inquiring minds want to know!

17 comments:

  1. You look rad! Like a drape from Cry-Baby, haha.
    I think the band that changed my life the most was probably the Strokes, I discovered them when I was in 8th grade, just as I was moving on from Green Day...their first album is still one of my most favorite, though unfortunately I don't particularly like any of their others!
    (I emailed you on your uni account, I need your current address again, sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE ITTTTTTT....that plaid skirt is sooooo awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, for years I guess I conflated The Strokes with The Shins in my head (idk!!), and really just established they were different a few months ago, ha! I'll have to give them a chance now ;)

    Thank you Baroness!! The skirt is an awesome 1950s number I bought for something like $4 on eBay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hair is amazing! Tell my about this hiding-of-fringe/bangs. I find it impossible to coax mine into submission in any way other than letting them sit neatly on my brow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! What I do is take the hair behind and a bit around my bangs and bring it forward in a swoop to cover 'em up. I have very short former Bettie bangs, and that works to give me more of a neat Joan Holloway-esque look.

      Delete
  5. i really really love your hair and your dog! Not many girls do actual 60s styles and i think i like them as much as i do 40s or 50s. I would say that they Monkees has changed my life lol. my parents and sisters hate them. mom said she used to like them but then she says "when i was a child, i did childish things" lol. I like the tv show because i like to laugh almost more than i like suspense (not to mention that Mike is adorable). I've learned tons of stuff about music and laughed so hard at them, even though most of it is made up, but i do really like their songs. thanks for the inspiration!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love the Monkees too!! Daydream Believer was always a favorite song of mine! My favorite weirdo '60s tv show has to be the Banana Splits though... they make the Monkees seem quite rational ;)

      Delete
  6. Love the Boy Scout uniform! I was a Girl Guide for years (and still have an uniform that fits), but have never tried on a Boy Scout uniform. You've got me thinking I should look in the boy's section for while I'm thrifting. A shirt such as that would be perfect for summer campfires and trips into the woods.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. The band that has changed my life the most is Beirut (Especially the Album, the Flying Club Cup).

    P.S. Your hair is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your hair in these outfit shots! Especially the first style; its given me an idea of how to hide the Bettie bangs I'm growing out right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Casey! Growing out bangs is the worst, isn't it?? I keep wanting to just cut them again and be done with it, but if I can just wait a few more months...

      Delete
  9. Fricking love this ensemble, I am a sucker for a band t-shirt. Your hair is looking fabulous, I am so back combing the hell out of mine today! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing ensemble, Dakota. Positively badass. ;-)

    And my life-changing band? Probably Belle & Sebastian. They speak to my inner oversensitive teenager that just refuses to leave. :P

    X,
    Sarzie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww you look so cute! Nice purchase! I love your bamboo earrings also! :) Musician who stole my heart the most has to be Tom Waits! ♥➸♥Oh I do hope your kitten arrived safe and sound sweetheart! ;) Zoë xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Completely in love with this outfit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the t-shirt with skirt combo. I'm having trouble pulling it off myself- you rock!

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥