27.2.11

whispering sea

seaside dress 1
(Outfit details: Urban Outfitters blouse [that I've had since middle school], 1940s toile dress, J Crew tights, F21 ballet flats)

The 1940s frock I'm sporting here is about as summery as they come; it's one of my very favorites, as a matter of fact. So I've decided to laugh in winter's face and wear it anyway, with a lot of layering, of course. Seeing so many lovely bloggers running around spring-soaked landscapes in cute light outfits is making me so very jealous! I mean, it's practically March now... surely spring is just around the corner?

These pictures don't show it well, but the pattern on this dress is a toile of seaside vignettes. There are women mending fishing nets, ships at a dock, and the like, with little rhinestone-studded buttons to boot! This is the first of a long line of nautical themed things I've been squirreling away over the long winter. I managed to find a 1940s sailor's uniform tiny enough to fit me at last a few weeks ago: I now have an adorable shirt (yes, with the star-trimmed collar flap!), classic navy wool pants, white deck pants, and a sailor's cap. Now all I need is an ocean to pose next to...
1940s toile
seaside dress 3
seaside dress 2
This pretty song was the flipside to Loretta's very first single, "Honky Tonk Girl", in 1960:

13 comments:

  1. wow, what a fantastic print on that dress! Nautical toile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is a dream!
    You can come stay with me in TN! It's warm here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that dress is lovely enough as it is, but to find out that it's NAUTICAL toile? well that's just unbelievably amazing!

    once it warms up a bit you can come to Maine and pose by the ocean with me... i'm only a couple states away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! Can I request a close-up shot of the print? It sounds too delightful not to see up close!

    Also - you can borrow some Sydney heat to 'spring' up your life - after today's muggy hot ick I'd happily give away a few degrees :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love your dress! A perfect dress for spring. Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh lovely dress, v pretty colour, hopefully summer wont be too far away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's beautiful. layering is always fun no matter what year the dress is from. I love the unique style of this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! I love how you are wearing it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loooovee your hair and makeup! So beautiful! Gorgeous dress as well :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you ladies!!

    Q and GrayBird, oh how I wish I could skip over to Tennessee or the Maine Coast right now! Luckily we should be getting some warm weather and thawing rains this weekend...

    Rebeccak, I have a little novelty patterns post in the works... I'll definitely include a better picture of this toile, it's really darling; the vignettes are so elaborate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love your dress and your have really beautiful hair

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥