9.5.12

lilac queens


 Here in the hills of Vermont, beautiful lilac season is in full swing.
How adorable are these queens of Rochester Lilac Festivals past... girls after my own heart!


{ All images found here. }



"The first Lilac Sunday was held in 1905. By 1908 around 25,000 people attended. The festival gradually expanded to Lilac Time and Lilac Week. In 1978 the event became the 10-day-long Lilac festival. A day to enjoy lilacs and springtime had expanded to include Lilac Queen contests, horse-drawn carriage rides, concerts, parades, children's amusements, races, exhibitions and, of course, food."










Wouldn't be complete without Eartha's hypnotic rendition of "Lilac Wine"...

13 comments:

  1. It's the first time I hear of a lilac festival. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those pictures are wonderful, I love the 4th picture especially, so crisp! I love lilacs, enjoy them! I am enjoying the very few moments of sunshine here, all the new buds popping out everywhere! :) Zoë x

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! just beutiful! i love the sleaveless dress with the belt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH this is beyond lovely. Lilacs are my favourite... hubby brings bouquets of them to me multiple times during their short season (won't except flowers the rest of the year I am such a purist for the lilac). Thank-you for sharing these GORGEOUS images. If only I could smell them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, this is so wonderful! This post has made me so happy, I wish there was enough Lilac for this to happen everywhere. I am loving the first two Lilac queens and the Lilac bus stop. Amazing! I hope you enoy it, you would make the perfect Lilac Queen. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly-Marie. I have actually staged a coup and declared myself Lilac Queen of America ;)

      Delete
  6. Such pretty pictures, I would love to sleep on a bed of lilacs, I am deranged no?! hah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're deranged, that makes two of us, 'cause sleeping in a bed of lilacs sounds like heaven!!

      Delete
  7. What a terrifically lovely array of Lilac Queen images. I especially like the one of the two stylish gals on the sidewalk as the traffic roars past.


    Wishing you a gorgeous weekend,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I grew up in Buffalo, and went to the Lilac Festival every year as a kid. Thanks for posting these wonderful images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Rochester...not to far from my old NY home! Boy, do I miss those lovely lilacs! Incredible photographs and one of my favorite songs, great post.

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥