5.7.11

independence day


(Dress, crinoline, purse, gloves-- all '50s; Restricted wedges; J Crew headband)

Howdy folks! Did you have a nice Fourth of July? I ate barbequed chicken and ice cream, saw some fireworks, swam in the brook and had a nice stereotypical celebration.

And here's what I wore to America's Birthday Party! Usually I avoid wearing colors that correspond to the holidays (no red/green getups around Christmas or orange/black at Halloween for me!) but for some reason (lack of creativity?) I went with good ol' red white and blue this year. And as those colors are inherently kitschy, why not add a crinoline, gloves, and poodle purse for good measure? This dress is a summertime favorite of mine-- the sailor collar is pretty adorable.


Speaking of which, isn't this purse the best? It was a thrift store score, just $3.00, though I'd have paid much more for it! The poodles are made of beads, it's so great. Tragically the woven straw is falling apart at the bottom, as you can see, so I guess it's gotta be relegated to "display only". Well, I've had it since I was 16, so at least it's had a good run of it.




'Til next time, take care!!

21 comments:

  1. oh wow, gorgeous! I LOVE your poodle purse! And the neckline on that dress is so fantastic! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable dress! That collar is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I've got to ask, how do you do your hair? I wish I could manage my own short locks into that glorious cut!

    Arianne from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! That purse is adorable... too bad it is falling apart a bit. It'll make a sweet piece to display though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww!!!! swoon! that is such a pretty dress!!! you look so cute!! lovely as always!-Miss Amethyst

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww. it looks great. I know what you mean with not wanting to wear like-colors on holidays. . .but you did a beautiful job!!! I love that purse! It is very sweet and unique! Beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. darling!!! Love the collar..and those cute little poodles on the purse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an amazing dress! + all of your accessories are too cute (that purse!). I had a really stereotypical 4th too- canoeing in the Ashuelot, swimming, pulled pork & fireworks. :) It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your dress, very pretty! Great bag too, shame its damaged :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is just so cute!! The purse is also vary delightful!! I sent you an email titled interview I hope you will read it my dear =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww beautiful! I LOVE that poodle bag and the dress is so pretty, such a lovely collar detail. Glad you had fun celebrating America's birthday, your outfit was just perfect for it. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that dress! It's just lovely. I adore that lovely big collar. I love how you've styled it with the red accents - so very fun and festive! You are adorable, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The perfect 4th of July outfit, you did the color theme well without being too over the top. The poodle purse is so darling, maybe a cobbler might be able to fix the bottom for you?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress is so gorgeous :) You've accessorised wonderfully, and what an awesome little purse! stunning.
    xErin

    anodetoreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dress is so cute I love anything nautical! The bag is lovely, I always wear themed outfits as I am a geek like that x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my what a picture - isn't that collar simply amazing on that gorgeous, gorgeous dress!! You look so wonderful and in such a stunning location as usual:)). The wedges are lovely and yes, the bag! The bag! Yummy:)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. That dress is lovely! In fact the entire outfit is :O)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! Thankfully America has a good color scheme going for it, haha! The dress reminds me of Sandra Dee. Maybe that's just me. <--impromptu poem.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Grettings from Canada:) You always look sooo adorable Dakota, lovin' your dress in this post!!
    You the bees knee's
    Corinna

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥