13.7.11

southern belle dressing


I wish it was socially acceptable to wear ruffled gowns and hoop skirts every day. It's not like I waste too much time fretting over my outfits being socially acceptable or not, haha, but it'd kind of be pearls before swine, and getting in and out of doorways might pose a challenge. Anyway, I've had Southern Belle style on the brain lately (what else is new?)... specifically through the lens of Hollywood's Golden Era. Original 1860s dixie dames are swell and all, but their severe center parts and make-up free faces (oh, and slave ownership!) are not something I feel compelled to emulate. No, let's hear it for Old Hollywood's totally anachronistic interpretations of Antebellum style, with flaming red lips and piled up pincurls! I've been wearing my fullest-skirted '50s frocks, fluffiest crinolines, daintiest shoes, and lace galore lately to pay homage to these fiery gals.

Bette Davis in Jezebel:
(I omitted any pictures of her infamous red dress; I thought it was hideous!)






Elizabeth Taylor in Raintree County:





Now, I doubt you have heard of this next one, so I'll not bother with the details; it was a pretty low-budget production, I hear, and the actress some unknown!





Now these are interesting... dresses inspired by Vivien's get-ups that are contemporaneous to the film! How I'd love to stumble upon one of these lovelies someday... 



PS: Latest breaking news in Dakotaville... I can now drive a tractor. A rusty red 1940s Massey-Ferguson at that! My neighbor owns it (she's a real farmer, unlike poseur me) and she let me drive it all around one of her pastures, and it was the most fun ever, and I'm welcome to drive it anytime, she said, so one day I'll get pictures. I feel so badass chuggin' down the hill on a giant old tractor, hehe! All I need now is a corncob pipe. Also, it turns out tractors are just like dresses... the older they are, the better quality! This neighbor of mine bought this behemoth '40s beast used back in the '60s, and it's still going strong, and she uses it for [whatever one does with a tractor] to this day. Amazing!

14 comments:

  1. WOW I am so impressed with your tractor driving! Believe it or not it is something I have always wanted to do ( fellow country girl here) but don't know any farmers well enough for it to actually happen. Go you! Can not wait to see pictures.
    All these images are amazing, it's one of my favourite looks, so pretty and feminine. We need to hunt down those patterns, just imagine. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to wear hoops and ruffles in daily life too! :D That's part of the reason why I started Civil War reenacting...but I don't get to wear my gowns on a daily basis, of course. I wish I could spend the rest of my life playing dress-up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, I love Bette Davis in the 30's! I mean she was always fabulous, but in the 30's and 40's, WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow if only you could stumble over those dress patterns for styles influenced by Gone with the Wind. I adore that film, half because of the gorgeous dresses Ms O'Hara wears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, I would definitely wear these dresses hah. Please I need to see a picture of you on a tractor, so cool x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want all their clothing, please. And gone with the Wind is my favorite movie ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been flouncing about lately in a 1930s gown that sweeps the dust off my floor - it needs a massive hoop, but I love the swishiness yet I'd still like a hoop to play around with the proportions of the gown. If you're set on getting one, some thrift stores sell them in the wedding section if they have one - a tip for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. UGH!!!! I love those dresses! my mom and dad had a gone with the wind inspired wedding so she worn a dress just like Vivien Leigh , ( even with the hoop skirt!!! ) I just love those dresses!!! To die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My great great granny used to dress that way! It was just a regular style back then! Ahh! and I too wish it was acceptable in todays society! But Our century is quite reluctant now, it makes me so Sad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah!!!!! I'm glad you're all with me in the Southern Belle/hoop skirt lovin'! We should all get ourselves some Scarlett O'Hara gowns and start a revolution.

    And Kelly Marie and Hannah, I'm gonna get some tractor pictures really soon. I have a bad case of tractor fever, I fear... I've just been looking at [[unaffordable]] vintage tractors on Craigslist, ay yi yi!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a girl after my own heart.I have always loved these style of dresses even when little I was taken by the old movies because of them.
    I look forward to seeing you on the tractor maybe not in a hoop gown tho lol well done you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah for tractors!! I just learned to drive our 1950s Farmall this past week when my husband and I baled hay. Much easier to drive than ride the wagon and stack! I've always liked hoops and thought it was my subconscious making up for my 5-foot-nothing stature! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember watching Gone with the Wind and thinking what a pain in the butt those dresses must have been - they do look amazing tho! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post more than words can describe! When I was little I had a poster of Scarlett O'Hara (when most of my young counterparts had posters of silly pop bands...) in my room. I looked at that poster every day and dreamed of owning a huge white ruffled dress with a red belt one day. I think I still kinda do...

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥