13.5.11

will you miss me when i'm gone?


No, I'm not going anywhere; I'm just listening to one of my favorite Carter Family songs on this fine Friday afternoon: 


I also read their biography of the same name recently; it has me thinking a lot about small mountain towns, the early days of radio, and, of course, charming little Depression-era frocks.

 I featured this late 20s or early 30s chiffon dress once before, back in the fall, but it's a special dress so here it is agin. Truthfully it's in awful condition, but fortunately it's so light weight that I can wear it over a slip if I'm careful. The story behind it is that I found it in the attic of the old, run down house my mother had just moved into! So it was free and it has a wonderful provenance, as the home had been in the same family from when it was built in the 1830s 'til when my mom bought it last summer! (The family matriarch, who probably owned this dress, had died, hence why the house was finally sold).



 Dog time!! I missed her sooo much when I was away at school!


This won't be half as exciting to you as it is to me, but they just turned out four adorable gamboling heifers into the pasture across the street from us, aww!

PS: As you may have noticed, Blogger sort of broke down yesterday; unfortunately about half of your lovely comments disappeared! Luckily I had a chance to read most of them, so thanks very much! And to whoever asked, my lipstick was (and is here) Revlon's "In The Red" from their Matte collection.


Have a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. oh lordy that dress is a delight, what an amazing find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really lucked out with this dress! It's so awesome to know the story behind such a remarkable find. You're a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a beautiful dress...with those cowboy boots, you've taken it to a whole new level of awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really pretty dress, and I'm loving your new hairdo! I always feel pretty and swishy when I get mine cut (for a few weeks, then I miss the length haha!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is so beautiful, and it has such an interesting story!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look fabulous, I am so jealous of your way of life, and your dog looks so cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Would be nice to find something like this from our attic (which is quite unpossible 'cause our house is build in 1990's.. :D)
    This is gorgeous!! (and I was quite scared first about the title :D)

    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful story behind such a beautiful dress - I just know you'll treasure it always:)). So you're home now? You look so fresh and happy to be on holidays and the house is amazing!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous dress!! I miss my dogs so much too when I'm away. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, all!! I really appreciate your kind words : )

    Faff-- YES, my hair feels so light and fluffy, it's amazing!

    Hannah-- thanks! Though don't be too jealous, living in the middle of nowhere can be downright miserable too!

    Pull Your Socks Up!-- Haha, yes, I am feeling much happier and refreshed being back home : D

    Michal-- Yes, that's the one drawback to traveling! My dog is practically a member of the family, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have outdone yourself! Stunning:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the floaty floral dress combined with the cowboy boots, looks perfect for traipsing about in spring fields!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This dress is amazing and such a lucky find!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. everything you wear and own seems to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The house where you're walking away from seems to bare so much resemblance to the Carters Clinch Mountain home. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥