27.5.11

The Young Rider's Picture Book, 1936

...or, "Behold the Sartorial Splendor of the 1930s British Horsey Set"


I have had this book collecting dust on my shelves for a loooong time (I think I got it in Elementary School, when I was truly obsessed with horses). I've fallen in love with it recently as a source of style inspiration, surprisingly! Those monied Brits of the '30s really knew how to do riding apparel-- I'm in a swoon over those crazy breeches, bowler hats, tweed jackets, and cloches! 

(Sorry they're pictures-of-pictures, I don't have a scanner)


How I love these mothers-- no darn outing with kids and ponies is keeping them from dressing to the nines! 







Have a dandy weekend ♥

9 comments:

  1. I love horses. I miss working with them. I love all these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - these are amazing! I love the matter-of-fact captions. And that little girl is too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, yes, yes!! I love this beautiful old book. I agree that people Dressed for the occasion in those days - it's so inspiring isn't it? They had their priorities right;)) Thank you for sharing these beautiful images xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that one comment "Wrong: Thumbs down"

    so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE! These are so wonderful, I used to ride when I was younger. I grew up in The New Forest where ponies wander round wild ( look it up it's lovely). These images have made me want to take it up again. I love the first picture ( that outfit is definitely a winner) and the picture of the little girl holding the horses with the dog. Such a lovely book and definitely perfect for outfit inspiration. Thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaah I love the dress the 'happy child' is wearing! what a cute book

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing, love the images! What a perfect book, I loove old horseriding photos and I get so much inspiration from them! AND I love riding (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks gals, I'm glad you enjoyed them!!

    Aren't the captions the best?? They're so much more blunt than modern children's books. There's a whole section where the author critiquing right and wrong riding form, and he just tears into these six year old on ponies so harshly. It's kind of great.

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥