30.4.11

lace, wool, and "little women"



(Outfit: 1930s wool/ribbon hat; 1930s lace jabot; 1940s boy's blouse; 1950s Pendleton skirt; Vigoss oxfords)

A 1930s-meets-Edwaridan outfit I wore on Friday. We're having a good old fashioned Vermont spring, meaning very fickle weather: on Wednesday and Thursday I was in sundresses and espadrilles, and now I'm back in wool. I'm not complaining at all though; I'm quite a fickle dresser myself!




I went to my school's big, ugly, super modern library to check out and reread "Little Women", as my friend and I were chatting about it (as 18 year olds so often do, right?) and I realized I'd forgotten most of it. Well, imagine my surprise when I found this original 1886 copy on the shelf!! It even has beautiful illustration plates throughout, and an adorable inscription.


"From Marilla to Nellie Jo"... could their names get any cuter?


♥ Have a great weekend, all! ♥

PS: This is probably the last outfit post I will ever photograph in my dorm room, as I'm going back home for the summer a week from Monday... hooray! Plywood closet, iron bunk bed, and cold gray linoleum floor, I will not miss you in the slightest.

18 comments:

  1. Love the hat, glad to hear you will be in more suitable surroundings for your fabulous style! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get over the fact how pretty you are, and you can dress yourself so well! Absolutely stunning outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colour of your vanity/dressing table!
    Don't you just love the writing on the book as well? Penmanship has gone the way of the dodo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hannah!!

    Lindsay, you're so sweet, thanks! Pot calling the kettle black, though : D

    Laurie, thank you; I know, their handwriting is so exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty outfit! I really love Edwardian details combined with 40ies-50ies clothing, that lace jabot is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the lace jabot and hairstyle, you look so nice!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a gorgeous look! Just the inspiration I need as we head into winter here!

    I love those old books, and my work means I get to dig through them everyday - I might have to post some of the more interesting book plates I find :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. College libraries are absolutely fabulous!!! You can find the most amazing treasures within them! That outfit looks fabulous on you as always, I love the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always look so lovely and I wish that book was one you could keep.Maybe you can go home and see if the owners of that old house will sell you some of the furniture?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do look like you stepped straight out of the 30s and then there's the Edwardian-style hair. Gorgeous, just gorgeous. The details are perfect. Countdown to end of semester - wow what an exciting feeling, going home for summer!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh lino in your bedroom, I sympathise, I physically cant put my bare feet on the stuff! Lovely outfit tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always so beautiful! I love this outfit its a perfect combination of era's. Hope you are enjoying Little Women. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's actually one of my favorite books, You look so pretty the colors of the outfit are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it, especially the jabot! I have been thinking about making one after re-watching Deadwood. I also like how you styled your bangs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love it...and what's neat is that 30s fashion often took from Edwardian, so the jabot, the hat, etc seem to channel that perfectly! I can't believe such a rare edition of that book is on the circulation shelf. Really, it should be in special collections!! Lucky you, you can take it home and pore over it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look beautiful as always! I love Little Women. My big brother gave me a copy when I was 7 and I read it over and over and over again. (:

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm looking forward to some stunning summer outfit posts, you find the best settings to photograph in when you're at home!

    I like the mixing of the eras here, Chicago has fickle springs too so I can sympathize with having to wear wool in April!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh i want to dress up with you so much. I love the edwardian touch immensely!

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥