28.11.12

in this open country


joshua1

Fond greetings from Joshua Tree, California.

How lovely it is to be out under the open skies, and to see the great landscape yawning before me! These dusty desert towns are great fun to explore. It is definitely strange and surreal to see the contrast between the new buildings and the vast ancient desert hills; they make you feel like civilization is awfully small and flimsy. It sure is different from the Vermont kind of countryside, where timeworn farmhouses and historic little villages are tucked away behind twisting mountain lanes and dense forests. There is no quaint or cozy here; instead it is fresh, big, and exciting. So far I've mostly stuck to the towns and highways, leaving no thrift shop or abandoned building safe, but I hope to venture even further into the wilds soon!


(These are just li'l old iPhone snapshots; we'll just have to wait 'til my first roll of film is developed to see more...)





Over and out ♥

10 comments:

  1. Isn't the desert primitive and exciting? I love it!!! Enjoy your time out here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! How I long for the open skies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love the vastness of an untamed (or nearly untamed) wilderness. I think it's part of what has always drawn me to both travel and camping, and why - much as I love cities - I find such peace and contentment in the great outdoors.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) Those desert background looks so dreamy! 2) I. LOVE. GUN CLUB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful words and images. I just love Joshua Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look how amazing you look there in the west side of the country. Your outfit, as usual, is amazing (but not as much as you).
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Joshua Tree myself. Did you visit Cap Rock? Reason I ask is because of the name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here you are in Cali all the way from Vermont and looking like you belong there! You've either picked up some awesome new-to-you clothing or you did some very clever packing:). I love your description of the ancient desert and new development. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The picture of you in the desert looks so lovely!!! Thrift stores out west are the best, right?! They are like cheap and awesome!!! Also abandoned buildings are the best things to explore (sadly being in a snotty suburb of Boston I dont get much opportunity to go to ones)!!
    Charlotte

    theflowered.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely as always! And the weather certainly looks better than here in Sweden, where you have to battle your way through the snow to get somewhere!

    http://vintagefromeurope.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥